On May 11, 1930, Fr. Matthew Toohey, pastor of St. Vincent de Paul, blessed and broke ground for the first church structure to be constructed in Berkeley Heights. It was he who suggested the name “Little Flower” after visiting St. Therese’s Shrine in Lisieux, France.
On September 10, 1930, the first wedding was celebrated in the new church with a nuptial Mass joining Michael A. Del Duca and Philomena Delia.
On October 26, 1930, Bishop Thomas Walsh of Newark dedicated and blessed the church.
The first celebration of First Communion in the church in Berkeley Heights was on November 2, 1930.
On June 27, 1955, as the church was celebrating its 25th anniversary year, Little Flower was incorporated as a parish with its first resident pastor, Father James McCarthy.
Little Flower School was opened in September, 1963, with 162 students. Due to declining enrollment, the school was closed in 1987.
Little Flower has had only one vocation to the priesthood. Father Arthur Humphrey was ordained a priest on May 28, 1975.